Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back in Time a bit



I have kept a sketchbook since I was 6 or 7. Needless to say, there's alot of pages of drawings. I found one from a book called "All About Me" I put together when I was in first grade. It was 1981.


This is a picture of my dad working at Bluegrass Data in Kentucky. I was really proud of the likeness. You can also see how forward-thinking I was. He seems to be working on one of the earliest laptops known to mankind.


This next picture is from a 1987 sketchbook. I was in Indiana and had created a number of comic strips. This one is called "Life in Indiana USA." It starred a number of my friends; Jeff, Mark, and Daniel to name a few. This one is of a boy disabling all the security devices so he can sneak a cookie. Hee hee.


I even took a stack of these comics to the local newspaper to ask permission to print them. I recieved my first of many rejections.


Other comic strips were "Stubborn Steve," "Mr. Phill" (I loved Phil Collins at the time, I was 11,) "Justin Case" about an accident-prone, baseball-wearing kid, and many others.


My siblings and I once printed a newspaper one boring Saturday and I did all the comics and illustrations.


I was an avid "Garfield" fan. I would draw him all the time. When I was 11, I wrote the cartoonist, Jim Davis and offered my services as an assistant. He wrote back an encouraging rejection letter.

1 comment:

Pencil Writer said...

Rejections kinda stink, but an encouraging rejection has merit. Thanks to those good folks who understand the difference.