Monday, August 18, 2008



I used to work in neckties. My second semester in college we had a project in Sculpture 2 where we went to a thrift store to buy supplies for a sculpture. I bought 40 ties and decided to make a marionette. It was a success. The marionette "Tiesewn" had a wire skeleton with ties sewn all around it like muscle. It was heavy, but moved like a human.

I focused on painting for a few years in school, then realized that I like sewing ties better. I made one that was almost life-size. I worked on that thing everywhere I went. In brainstorming, I came up with many different varieties and decided that I would make a flying one and some hollow, wearable ones. I had a number of opportunities to exhibit the flying ones; Provo, UT (like the image above;) Alberta, Canada; Wamego, Kansas; and in the public library here in Natchitoches. The wearable pieces were in my first real solo exhibit in Alberta called "Shared."

1 comment:

mdjensen said...

Matt, I remember going to this exhibit with the flying ties, it was amazing! Congrats on all of your other work, I love the "tie" medium!