Friday, August 15, 2008

Memorial Bowl

My grandmother was one of my heroes. She was an artist that inspired me in many different ways. When she visited, she would teach me drawing techniques and provide lots of opportunities and supplies. I remember canoing and clamming and playing on the beach with her.

When she died in December, she was cremated. Most of her ashes were spread in the Atlantic Ocean near where she would kayak. I took some of them and at the suggestion of one of her friends, wedged them into some clay and made some bowls. I raku fired them with a white crackle glaze. The final touch was rocks we collected on the beach while at her memorial service.

When I began to make the bowls, I asked a photography class if any of them wanted to document the process. Two students came down and took pictures. Here are a couple.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Matt, This is a beautiful way to memorialize your grandma. I'm sure she'd be proud to be the inspiration. I love the photos too, especially the spinning bowl.

Melissa Linenberger

Sally DeFord said...

This is a wonderful idea. We have our bowl on our mantel with a few pieces of sea glass in it. The bowl is just beautiful.

Clint said...

Thank you Matt. My mother was one of your greatest fans. My bowl is coming soon. I think I will put some stones painted by my 4 year old grandson in it.
Clint

Pencil Writer said...

Raku with crackle glaze. I'm so glad I recognized the firing and glazing accurately! I'm not quite as old as I thought I was. (Ha, Ha. Yeah.) Anyway, it is a beautiful bowl. Love the beach polished stones, too. Lovely tribute--symbolic and physical.